Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Kenia Huerta
2.1.2011
Period 3
“The Red Hat”
This novel was named Catcher in the Rye.  This was the first and only novel that J.D. Salinger had written. In his novel, he mentioned this particular hat. He described it being a red hat. This red hat played a very important role for which it symbolized something very important.

This novel was very appealing. I very much enjoyed how Salinger made the red had so meant so much in this novel. To be honest, in the beginning I actually thought it was a bit odd and silly he decided to use a red hat as a symbol of importance. Soon enough my perspective changed. I feel that this hat is how he sees himself.

            There are many reasons for why I feel the red hat symbolizes the way that he sees himself. For example, every time he wears this little red hunting hat he changes his personality. The same for when he removes it. For when he wears it, he can be as insular and tough and as unique as he wants. When he takes it of it’s completely the opposite.

            So this is just a short summary on what I feel this red hat symbolizes. This hat represented how this single individual felt. It showed his insecurities and when he is most confident. This novel was very motivating for me because to me it means I can be who ever I want to be and no one can judge me for doing it.   


No comments:

Post a Comment